Monday 6 October 2014

The road to Grace Hopper

The last few weeks have been a crazy whirlwind of starting a new year of university, this time first year which meant being given assignments almost from the word GO, working in the library as Welcome Team for freshers fortnight, applying for new jobs and on top of everything else...finding out I was selected to attend the Grace Hopper Celebration!

The posts below are my submissions we were required to write in order to be considered for the trip. Being a physicist (in training), I wasn't sure if I really deserved the opportunity to go, with many other girls on the scheme being more tech savvy than me, but as I enjoy learning new things and want to share my experiences with others I decided to go for it...and was truly shocked when I received confirmation of my place.

So the road to Grace Hopper has currently been trying to simultaneously work on assignments for early submission and find out all there is to know about the conference and the true icon that is Grace Hopper. This inspiring lady was a maths major, gaining her Phd in mathematics from Yale in 1934, and during World War II served with the United States Navy Reserve as one of the first programmers on the Mark I (aka Automatic Sequence Controlled Calculator).

The sessions I am most looking forward to are the careers fair, open source day and the panels on 'Bio-metrics: cool or creepy?', 'Accountability and Metrics for Gender Diversity' and ' Integrating Gaming and Fitness' along with many others.

So watch this space as we head to Phoenix tomorrow and keep you all posted on what is sure to be the experience of a lifetime...

No comments:

Post a Comment